Saturday, July 18, 2009

From the "Who Knew?" Files

I was struck by the concluding paragraph of Steve Smith's review in the New York Times of the Kronos Quartet's Celebrate Brooklyn concert:
Elsewhere, the quartet’s omnivorous appetite was confirmed once again in a set that ranged from the bucolic psychedelia of Sigur Ros’s “Flugufrelsarinn” (“The Fly Freer”) to the distorted catharsis of Michael Gordon’s “Sad Park.” The Mexican alternative-rock band CafĂ© Tacuba’s vivid “11/11” closed the show, and a suite from Clint Mansell’s score for the film “Requiem for a Dream” was a generous encore.
Kronos plays Cafe Tacuba? That's awesome! (For a recounting of my first exposure to Cafe Tacuba last November, see here.)

Apparently, however, this should not have come as a surprise to me, since Kronos recorded a piece entitled "12/12" with Cafe Tacuba on their Nuevo album, which I own. Who knew?

At any rate, the Celebrate Brooklyn concert sounds like it was a great one; I wish I could have been there.

No comments: