Thursday, February 17, 2011

Elton John Wants Some Punch

We've had good things to say about the Punch Brothers here on Sound of Blackbirds (see here and, for notes on Chris Thile in particular, here and here).

Well, Sir Elton John has caught up with us.

From the latest Rolling Stone:
You keep up with new music, and recently said, "Songwriters today are pretty awful." There must be someone out there you like.

I like bands that have made their reputations by playing live. Real bands like Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire and the Black Keys. We played with a band on T Bone's revue, the Punch Brothers, and I want to make a record with them. They're astonishing, the best jam band I've ever seen. It's f*cking brilliant. Jon Brion's production is incredible. They, for me, are the exiting new thing. That's where I want to go.
Wow!

No comments: