Sunday, January 25, 2009

Molly Dean at e.p. atelier


Because Minneapolis-based Molly Dean had been in Alaska for several months last year, it had been awhile since I had seen her play live so I was excited to see her play at e.p. atelier at the beginning of the month to play Womenfolk Live. A special event celebrating e.p. atelier's 5th anniversary, this was a special evening with even more special music. I was surprised to see Molly use guitar effects and loops, but it really rounded out the ambience of her moody, soulful songs. I particularly enjoyed "Resonate" (the title cut from her latest album) and "A Melody" as well as her two inventive covers of Greg Brown's "Driftless" and Haley Bonar's "Bless This Mess" (which I actually enjoyed more than the original). Molly didn't talk much, but she didn't need to--the music entranced all those present, and she won over many new fans.

No comments: